Living in a country with a tropical climate, most of us swear by dehumidifiers. Excess moisture in the air calls for the breeding and presence of dust mites, mold, mildew, and seasonal allergens. Parasites like mosquitoes and flies also thrive in a humid atmosphere.
What is a dehumidifier?
A dehumidifier is a simple household appliance that removes excess moisture from the atmosphere.
It is generally used to bring the temperature of the house down to a comfortable level or to get rid of the musty odor that comes with a lot of moisture in the air.
Why should you use a dehumidifier?
Generally, people are skeptical about dehumidifiers and think that they can do without them. But, if you are experiencing any one of the following things mentioned below, you might want to get a dehumidifier immediately.
- If you have damp patches or water stains on your walls or ceilings.
- If the humidity in rooms with no ventilation- like bathrooms that don’t have any windows or ventilating ducts- rises to an intolerable level.
- If you see frequent droplets of water on your windows.
- If you start developing mold spots in certain areas of your house.
- If the musty smell of mildew fills the air inside your home.
- If you live in an apartment building. You may not be facing any of these troubles, but mold spores and mildew can travel through ventilator ducts. So if any of your neighbors are suffering from a mold infestation, you might get affected too.
Things to keep in mind while choosing a dehumidifier
- The first and foremost consideration while choosing a dehumidifier is where you want to put it, and the humidity level of that area.
- Small models work fine for single rooms. Larger models come in handy for larger rooms, basements or a small apartment.
- You can also purchase a whole-house dehumidifier if you live in an extremely humid climate and frequently suffer from dust-based allergies.
- Many good dehumidifiers come at a reasonable budget as well, so you don’t have to spend a pile to get the best one.
Dehumidifiers work wonders for people who are suffering from a serious allergy problem. They can help you live a healthier life and can protect you and your family from serious allergic reactions. They also make the air within your home light and breezy, and cool it down considerably.
By capacity, we mean how much moisture the appliance can extract from the atmosphere at a given time. It also means how much water the machine’s tank can hold before you need to drain it. Obviously, a machine with a larger water tank and greater absorption powers would be more efficient.
The reason why we mention the size is that often, people buy humidifiers without thinking about the dimensions of their room. Obviously, you need to keep the size of your room in mind. Larger devices are more powerful, but they might not fit into your room, and will not serve their purpose.
Static vs. Mobile
Usually, dehumidifiers made for the home are either lightweight, so that you can carry them from room to room, or they come with caster wheels if they are a little on the bulky side. Static dehumidifiers are often only available for commercial and industrial purposes.
The best-rated dehumidifier products have a speed setting up to 3. You can select one in accordance with your room’s needs.
Although dehumidifiers are highly efficient devices, sometimes they can be very noisy. That is not a pleasant thing to have in your room. Opt for a dehumidifier that is relatively quiet to maintain your own mental peace.
Types of dehumidifiers
There are three types of dehumidifiers that you can purchase in the market:
This one works on the same principle as your fridge. A metal plate in the dehumidifier is cooled down, on which the moisture in the air condenses and accumulates. A fan draws in the air of the room, which condenses on the metal plate and is collected in the water tank of the refrigerator.
Although refrigerant room temperatures work perfectly in normal temperatures, their performance deteriorates dramatically in lower temperatures. It can work in cooler conditions but require some additional features to do so. This makes refrigerant dehumidifiers an expensive option.
A desiccant is a material which absorbs moisture from the air, for example, silica gel. These dehumidifiers use desiccants on wheels, which rotate slowly, thus absorbing all the moisture in the air. The water condenses, which is then collected in the water tank of the dehumidifier. In some cases, it is also automatically drained out through a tube in the back of the unit.
The main advantage of a desiccant dehumidifier is that it can operate at much lower temperatures than a refrigerant dehumidifier. That is why, if you are looking for a dehumidifier that can cool down an area considerably, then you might want to consider this dehumidifier. Also, desiccant dehumidifiers are more affordable, smaller and lighter than refrigerant dehumidifiers.
Whole House Ventilation dehumidifiers.
These are the most effective dehumidifiers and require less than a penny to operate each day. These appliances are so quiet that you might even forget that they are there. Popularly known as Lofties, they sit in your loft area and push fresh air from above into your home. The constant income of fresh air forces the old, dusty and musty air in your house to leave through the doors and windows, leaving your homes feeling a lot fresher.
The best part about a Lofty is that it can be installed within an hour. Also, you can do it yourself, if you read the instruction manual thoroughly. There is no need to call a mechanic to do the job.
Top 10 Dehumidifiers
Since there are a lot of options for you to choose from, we have made a compiled list o all the best dehumidifiers in the market that are available for bargain prices.
HOmeLabs 9 Gallon (70 Pint) Dehumidifier
This dehumidifier is the perfect fit for any basement, cellar or even a large room. It is one of the best Energy Star certified equipment with a sleek structure for blending into the modern home. It comes in compact dimensions of 15.4x 11x 24.3 inches and is very easy to use. With its 6 liter water tank capacity, it can remove up to 9 gallons of moisture from the air on a daily basis.
- It comes with wheels, so it can be moved easily
- The humidity level setting offers maximum preference
- Slightly more expensive than its competitors
- The big build restricts portability
Ivation 30 Pint Energy Star Dehumidifier
This wonderful appliance is can remove 30 pints of moisture every day. This comes with Energy Star certification. The capacity of the reservoir is about 1.3 gallon. For ease of use, there is a bright LED display which indicates Humidistat and setting, fan speed, timer, filter alert. This model also comes with Casters, Auto-Defrost and Auto Restart features.
- One of the best options in Amazon small dehumidifiers
- Comes armed with a lot of features
- The filter is reusable
- It can be very loud and noisy
- The water storage is comparatively small
HOmeLabs 4 Gallon (30 Pint) Dehumidifier
Using this brilliant dehumidifier, you can remove 4 gallons (30 pints) of water from the air daily. It comes in a sleek and clean design and is also very convenient to use. This one is ideally intended for spaces up to 1000 sq feet in size. It comes with 0.8 gallons or 3-litre water tank capacity.
- is capable of covering up to 1000 sq feet in enclosed spaces
- the wheels attached to the product allow it to be moved easily
- removes 4 gallons of water from the air each day
- can keep up to 3 gallons of water in the store
- one of the best small humidifiers for rooms
- Being big and heavy, the product is difficult to move around
- it falls in the expensive price bracket
HOmeLabs 6 Gallon (50 Pint) Dehumidifier
Bring home this model of the dehumidifier that is perfect for removing 6 gallons of humidity daily. You will love its sleek and clean design. Extremely convenient to use, this model measures 15.4 x 11 x 24.3 inches overall. It has a 1.6-gallon water tank capacity.
- It has a very sturdy frame
- has a drain hose so can work continuously for a long time
- easy to store
- super quiet
- you can just plug it in and walk away
- None we could find
This is definitely the best small dehumidifiers for bathrooms as well as the best small dehumidifiers for bedrooms
PREMIUM Comforday Compact Dehumidifier
This compact dehumidifier can remove up to 10 ounces of water from the atmosphere and has a 17 ounces water tank. It is 6x12x21cm (6.30×4.72×8.27in) in size, making it one of the best small dehumidifiers for RVs. This model comes with a LED light indicator and auto shut off properties that make it very convenient to use. It consumes only 20 W of energy, being very energy efficient.
- In terms of design, the product remains unparalleled
- Extremely easy to clean
- The LED indicator makes this very convenient to use
- Works a bit slower than the other products mentioned in this list.
TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier
This appliance has a ceramic microporous cartridge that thoroughly filters the air and gets rid of any microorganisms in it. It can work perfectly in rooms with a height of 431-538 sq ft. There is also a built-in timer, intuitive LED display, sleep mode, and a 360-degree rotatable nozzle for uniform distribution. The 4 liter water capacity provides a half day of adjustable humidification
- This humidifier is very quiet
- The 360-degree mist nozzles distribute the moisture evenly throughout the room
- The control knob is a classic
- It does not save space because it can take up most of a small table.
InvisiPure Hydrowave Dehumidifier
The dehumidifier measures overall 9.8 x 6.1 x 13.9 inches and weighs only 5.7 lbs. It consumes 100 W and 120 V of power. The water tank is capable of holding up to 2 liters. One of the best features of this equipment is that it automatically shuts off when the tank is full. This can perform best in small areas.
- Good value for price
- Compact and lightweight and can be moved easily from room to room
- It is easy to dispose of the collected liquid
- Comes with a 1 year warranty
- Some customers have reported that the appliance sometimes malfunctions and does do not extract water properly.
Honeywell Cool Moisture Console Humidifier
This Honeywell product comes with- a 3 moisture output speed setting, as well as adjustable humidity control. You can turn it on and off to maintain humidity balance. The 3-gallon dual tank can work consistently for up to 24 hours. This machine also has a wicking filter which removes minerals from hard water to prevent the white production dust.
- The most convenient thing about this product is that it can work continuously for up to 20 hours with a full tank
- The auto shutoff policy makes sure that you remain worry free
- Comes with a whopping 2 year warranty
- The product is made entirely out of plastic, so it may feel a little cheap to the touch
One of the most popular models available today, this equipment has an adjustable 360-degree rotatable nozzle which gives you greater control over the distribution of the moisture. The LED screen control panel offers 3 mist settings. The mist can cover up to 50 sqm / 538 sq ft with 2.5L water tank. It comes with quiet whisper design and waterless auto shutoff. There is also a special place to add aroma essential oils which can reduce stress. Special cleaning brush included in the package.
- Operates in complete silence
- The mist generated is finer, so that no condensation accumulates on objects around the room
- Does not mist bacteria into the air
- The maintenance cost is high because they need a demineralization process which requires maintenance and replacement to eliminate any particulate matter
MistAire Silver Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
One of the best products from the house of MistAire, this comes with Ultrasonic Cool Mist Technology, which moisturizes the air up to 25 hours with continuous operation. The rotating nozzle makes the distribution of the mist even. The humidifier is turned off automatically when the water level is low. It comes with an AC power adapter, disk cleaning brush, user manual, industry-leading 5 Year Warranty, caring customer support 7 days a week.
- It is silent
- The nozzle can be pointed at various directions t spray the mist accordingly
- It is very easy to clean and also comes with a cleaning brush attached
- The nightlight in the humidifier makes it easy to control the settings in the dark
- It is small and lightweight and takes no effort to carry
- The major problem with this humidifier is the leaking issues. Sometimes, the tank may have cracks which get bigger with time
- It has only 2 output settings- high and low. Therefore, it is not very versatile
- In the low setting, the mist does not fill up the room, while in the high setting, it causes too much moisture in the room.
- The front button can be triggered easily, causing the whole setting to change
Points to remember while buying a humidifier
Here are a few points you can keep in mind while buying a humidifier.
- The type of humidifier you want. Cool mist humidifiers use less electricity and disperse mist at room temperature. Warm mist humidifiers use more electricity to heat up the water and disperse it in your room as warm moisture. Ultrasonic humidifiers can do both things, and are also the quietest in the game.
- How much noise you want. If even the slightest whisper irritates you, you might want to opt for an ultrasonic humidifier.
How much maintenance is needed? A regular kind of maintenance is required by each humidifier, but ultrasonic humidifiers require more maintenance.
- How much maintenance is needed? A regular kind of maintenance is required by each humidifier, but ultrasonic humidifiers require more maintenance.
- The cost. Each humidifier is priced. Differently, ultrasonic humidifiers cost more than the ordinary varieties. But the cost is no moniker for quality. You might find just the humidifier you need at a very decent price.
Benefits of using a dehumidifier
A cooler, drier home
Nobody wants their homes to be unnecessarily damp. Dampness in the air can take effect on every kind of object around you- the condensation can settle on your clothes, shoes, books and even electronic appliances.
So, to escape the risk of a potential electric shock, use a dehumidifier. It absorbs the excess moisture in your atmosphere and leaves it drier and more comfortable.
Stops mold and mildew
Mould and mildew are attracted to humidity and dampness. These allergens can cause several health problems, like asthma and a host of other breathing problems. Also, exposure to mold and mildew can also cause depression and other problems of the nervous system.
A dehumidifier can help to get rid of the mold and mildew overnight. Which means that if you are suffering from this problem, you should look for the best dehumidifier you can lay your hands on?.
Gets rid of musty smells
Mildew causes the air in your home to smell funky. This smell can be absorbed by your furniture covers and freshly washed clothes. With a dehumidifier in your home, you need not worry about that. Along with the excess moisture, it can also absorb the unwanted odors in your room.
Prevents the growth of dust mites
Dust mites can take over your life in a moment. They can attack your bed sheets, carpets, curtains, and clothing. They also are very hard to get rid of and might cause allergic reactions. A dehumidifier can erase the population of dust mites in your house overnight.
Excess water in the atmosphere may lead to condensation, which can cause dam patches to form on the walls. It may also cause wallpaper to peel off and wood to shrink. All in all, it is not a pleasant thought. You can get rid of this problem once and for all using a dehumidifier.
Here you have 10 amazing humidifiers and dehumidifiers to choose from. Most of these models are fairly cheap, easily available, and built to cover all your personal needs.
Obviously, this is not an all-inclusive list, and you may find an appliance that is more suited to your preferences and has not been included in the list. Keep in mind the various specifications that should be considered while making a purchase and you will have no problem at all.